Fall

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

When Prince Charming Falls Off His Horse....A funny story of our early marriage!

I had to laugh today. I was thinking about when Pete and I first got married. I was 18 and Pete was 19! I know, we were crazy! Haha! Even though we have now been happily married for over 18 years, we sure did not start out that way. Just listen to one of our conversations after being married for a few months.


Wendy: You never hold my hand anymore. I always have to hold your hand first.

Pete: That is not true. You cannot say that I "NEVER" hold your hand first.

Wendy: (In frustration) Well, ok, so you "hardly" ever hold my hand first.

Pete: (In frustration) I think that you need a hobby.

Wendy: (Eyebrows turned down) What do you mean I need a hobby?

Pete: (Oh,oh!) Well, I think it would be great if you had something to do to keep your mind busy.

Wendy: (Wondering if murder is an option here) Well, you never really listen to me.

Pete: (Wondering where this one is going) What do you mean?

Wendy: I wish that you were in my world more.

Pete: (Probably thinking about how great a hobby would be for me right now!) What do you mean in your world more?

Wendy: Well, I wish that you were more romantic.

Pete: (Wondering how in the world am I going to get out of this one) What do you mean more romantic?

Wendy: Well, I want to feel safe.

Pete: (Thinking how LONG is this conversation going to last) What do you mean feel safe?

Wendy: Well, I do not know. I don’t know how to explain it.

Pete: (In COMPLETE and TOTAL frustration says,) " WENDY, you want me to be a combination of Albert Einstein, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tom Cruise, and Pepe Le Pew and I CAN'T!

Wendy: (Oh no he didn't! I know that he Did Not just say that to ME!)

Pete: (Ok, either I'm dead or this conversation will be over for quite some time because she will not be talking to me for at least a week!)

HaHa! Well, does this sound a little familiar ladies? When we first start off in marriage, we think that we are the princess and we have married our prince charming. Then, REALITY sets in and we find that our prince charming has fallen off his horse and is on the ground! Life with two flawed people makes for an interesting blog. LOL First, you realize that you've married an imperfect person, and then you realize, oh wait, I'm apparently not perfect either. :)  Isn't life funny!  I will always look back on our early years of marriage with a great big "heart smile", because I know that God must have laughed at Pete and I trying to figure out this crazy life together!

You know, God really used that conversation above to show me something very valuable. The lesson I learned that day is that there is NEVER going to be another person who will fill that place in my heart that longs to be always loved, kept safe, and held perfectly. There's only room for one person on the throne of my heart and that place is only reserved for Jesus. No person will ever be able to fill it because we are all flawed. No matter how much someone loves you and desires to be there for you, only God will never let you down. It is a God shaped hole that only He can fill.

Even though I have a WONDERFUL husband that God has blessed me with beyond measure and has been so gracious in putting up with some of my crazy conversations and strange questions, only God will always be the perfect gravity defying, horseback- riding, prince charming.

2 comments:

  1. I also remember those days. Y'all were funny to watch and your soooooooo right about no one can fill those shoes but Jesus. Praise God for that...love ya and keep writing your blogs. Your a blessing sweetheat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true, so true

    ReplyDelete