Fall

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Is Christ the reason for Christmas?

I couldn't help but think today about all the clichés and sayings during Christmas. I read all these pithy little slogans on keeping Jesus in Christmas and the reason for the season, and I wonder why we constantly have to remind ourselves of this if Christmas is for Christ in the first place.

I had just a sick feeling today when I thought about what Christmas really means. I couldn't help but think that if Christmas is REALLY about Jesus and celebrating His birth and who He was, then why in the world do we focus so much of our time, energy, and money on others around us that already know all of this. I wondered why did I buy all the gifts I did and gave them to the people that I love that already know all about Jesus and have opportunities to experience His blessings all year long.

I was convicted in my heart because I should have taken all of my time, energy, and money and gone out into our community and SHOWED Jesus to those who may not have a REAL picture of what Jesus is all about. I'm not saying that buying presents for our loved ones during Christmas is wrong, but what I am saying is that I was convicted about the amount of time that I spent on those around me compared to the time and effort and thought that I put in to those who may not really know Him.

I was out yesterday with a few friends. We went to a restaurant where we gave the young waitress a gift with some scripture on it, and she was taken aback by the gesture. She told us of her current struggles, and we prayed for her and told her that we would be praying for her. I couldn't help but leave that restaurant with a sense of joy because I couldn't help but think that if Jesus were here today, that's what Christmas would be about for Him. He would go to the least of these and give of Himself and all that He had.

I'm asking God to forgive me for missing so many things that I could have done this Christmas and asking Him to help me in the coming year to have my eyes wide open to opportunities that He opens for me. I pray for myself and all the followers of Jesus that we will wake up before time runs out and we miss the opportunities to be light in a dark world.

1 comment:

  1. Cookie, You are so right. I have been feeling the same way. I'm tired of putting all my energy into what isn't important. If we're honest with ourselves no one NEEDS gifts. We all have more than we NEED. And it's not so much the gifts it's the people around me that are so focused on everything but the birth of Jesus, including my kids. I need to get us back on the right road. I also have asked God for forgiveness for the many things I have missed this Christmas and pray that my eyes will be wide open this coming year for the good of God.

    ReplyDelete